“Business Contact Information” – means information to enable an individual at a place of business to be contacted and includes the name, position name or title, business telephone number, business address, business email or business fax number of the individual. Generally, this is referred to as business card data.
“Collection” – the act of gathering, acquiring, recording or obtaining personal information from any source, including sources other than from the individual to whom the personal information belongs, by any means.
“Disclosure” – the act of making personal information available outside of our Company and to sharing of the information within our Company.
“Need to Know” Principle – means access to information based on a legitimate need to use the personal information for the execution of one’s duties.
“Notice” – means providing you with information on:
• the nature and purpose of the information to be collected;
• the legal authority for collecting the information and;
• the person within our Company from whom you may obtain more information.
“Records” – include books, documents, maps, drawings, photographs, letters, vouchers, papers and any other thing on which information is recorded or stored by graphic, electronic, mechanical or other means, but does not include a computer program or any other mechanism that produces records.
“Use” – the treatment, handling, management and retention of Personal Information.
You may change or withdraw your consent at any time on reasonable notice, subject to pre-existing legal and contractual obligations, by sending an e-mail to the Privacy Officer. However, if you withdraw certain consents, it may limit the manner in which you can make use of our Company’s services. For clarity, your ability to change or withdraw consent is not absolute. The Company reserves the right to continue handling your personal information in those circumstances required or permitted by law despite a change or withdrawal of consent.
Most of the personal information we collect is provided by you when you apply, register, signup, or consent to a program or an activity, apply for employment or request our services. Some information can come from application and meeting regulatory requirements.
You may see notices on forms you are asked to complete, signage posted on our vehicles, or inside and outside our facilities where we operate video surveillance equipment.
• to process your account credentials, passwords, communicate offers, and updates to our services and other information, if you have signed up to access to our websites; for example, your email and password will be used to authenticate you in order for you to make changes to your profile;
• to resolve disputes, mitigate or attempt to prevent fraud, investigate privacy and security incidents; for example, during a privacy breach investigation, incident details may be shared with the Privacy Commissioner as part of our breach reporting due diligence program;
• to investigate safety and security incidents; for example, we may use video surveillance to investigate incidents occurring on or near our premises; this may be disclosed to law enforcement in accordance with PIPEDA requirements;
• to issue Bills of Lading, Proof of Delivery, invoices, collect billed amounts or purpose of court proceedings in accordance with the Act. For example, if an invoice remains unpaid, we may share information with a collection agency for the purpose of recovering the debt;
• using identification information and contact information, such as your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address so that we can identify you and deliver the services that you request and to communicate with you regarding those services;
• using information relating to your preferences so that we are able to provide our services to you in accordance with those preferences;
• using customer relationship information such as your service requests, comments and feed back to assist us in delivering services in accordance with your wishes;
• using personal information for the purpose for which it was provided and certain other activities that are reasonable for that purpose. For example, if you apply for a job, we will review the information provided to assess your suitability for the job. As well, we will use your contact information if we need further information or if we would like to set up an interview;
• using your postal and / or e-mail address to provide information about our services, our responsibilities, and other items (including the services of third parties) that we believe you may be interested in, notwithstanding that your address may have been provided for a different purpose;
• analyzing your personal information to assist us in developing and enhancing our services and our website; and
• analyzing your personal information to assist us in conducting market analysis and strategic planning.
Personal information may be collected, used or disclosed without consent in limited circumstances, as outlined in paragraphs 7(3)(d1) and 7(3)(d2) of PIPEDA and where the conditions make it impossible or impractical to seek consent such as emergencies, health, safety and security of our employees, customers and the public or to collect outstanding debts or in the prevention of fraud or to comply with a subpoena, warrant, court order or as otherwise required by law.
Set out below are certain circumstances where we may disclose your personal information without obtaining your further consent. These are:
Privacy legislation permits or requires the collection, use and disclosure of personal information without the knowledge or consent of the individual in some specific and limited circumstances. We reserve the right to collect, use and disclose your personal information in these limited circumstances without your knowledge or consent. The Company may monitor your use of its services to ensure the proper use and operation of those services. As well, we may collect, use and disclose your personal information without your knowledge or consent when that personal information is relevant to an actual or potential legal proceeding or when we are required or permitted to do so by court order, applicable law or regulatory requirements.
A technology called cookies could be used, now or in the future, on certain pages of our website or at the websites that any links will visit. A cookie is a tiny element of data that a website can send to your browser, which may be stored on your hard drive so the website can recognize your return. Cookies allow companies to provide tailored or targeted information and services to you via the Internet. You can disable cookies by turning them off in your browser; however, some areas of the site may not function properly if you do so. (See the documentation provided with your Internet browser for more information on cookies and how to disable them.)
Our websites could contain links to third party websites. These linked sites are not under our Company’s control and we are not responsible for the privacy practices or the contents of any such linked site, or any link contained in any linked site. We provide such links only as a convenience, and the inclusion of a link on our website does not imply endorsement of the linked site by our Company. You should familiarize yourself with the privacy policies and practices of any such third parties.
Our Company does not knowingly process personal information from individuals under the age of consent. Our websites are not directed at children, and we request that children under the age of 16 not provide personal information through the website and request that parents or guardians monitor their children’s use of our website.
When we collect, use or disclose personal information, we will make a reasonable effort to ensure that it is accurate, up to date and complete. To do so, we may need to request additional information from you or have you verify your information. If your personal information does change, we would appreciate it if you could inform us of those changes in order that the personal information in our possession remains accurate.
For legal and business purposes, we may retain your personal information for as long as it is reasonably needed. Upon expiry of the appropriate retention period, bearing in mind our reasonable legal and business requirements, your personal information will either be destroyed in a secure manner or made anonymous. You should be aware that there are legally required minimum retention periods, which The Company must and does observe.
Our Company recognizes its obligation to protect personal information in its possession. We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information using physical, electronic and procedural security measures appropriate to the sensitivity of the information in our custody or control and will make reasonable arrangements to secure that personal information against unauthorized access.
The standards may include safeguards to protect your information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification regardless of the format in which it is held. Our internal policies and procedures, based on “need-to-know” principles, restrict access to your information. These measures will be reasonable in the circumstance and may include providing access to only those individuals with a need to know the information, locked doors and / or filing cabinets and other physical and electronic security measures as well as contractual measures, such as non-disclosure or confidentiality agreements. Many of our suppliers, as part of the contractual arrangements, are bound by confidentiality clauses and may not use the information for any unauthorized purpose. We comply with PIPEDA regarding the storage of personal information.
We will not include personal information on an email and ask you to verify it. If you get an email from our Company asking for personal information, do not respond or open it or click any of the links or open attachments contained with the email. Please contact our IT department immediately.
On your written request we will provide you with:
• access to your personal information (if any) under our custody or control;
• information about the purposes for which your personal information under our custody or control has been and is being used by us; and
• the names of persons to whom, and the circumstances in which, your personal information has been and is being disclosed by us.
All requests may be subject to reasonable fees and disbursements. Where appropriate to do so, we may require advance payment of a deposit or the entire costs of responding to a request for access to personal information. As well, all requests must be in writing. We will also require sufficient information and detail from you in order to verify your identity and to properly locate the information.
Your ability to access your personal information is not absolute. The Company reserves all rights to not provide access to personal information in the circumstances permitted by law.
We will correct errors or omissions in your personal information where that information is in our custody or control. We require that all such requests be in writing and signed by you. We may require sufficient information and detail from you in order to verify your identity, properly locate the information and provide a response. If you make such a request, we will either:
• correct the personal information and, if reasonable to do so, send correction notifications to any third party to whom we disclosed the incorrect information; or
• decide not to correct the personal information but we will annotate the personal information that a correction was requested but not made.
Corrections or amendments will rarely, if ever, be made to opinions, including expert or professional opinions, as opposed to factual information, which may be corrected if in error. Examples of opinions that would not be altered include; investigative findings of preventability, negligence or liability, reasons for reprimand or dismissal.
• have any questions with respect to our privacy policies or practices;
• have any questions with respect to our handling of your personal information;
• wish to request access to or correction of your personal information under our care or control; or
• are dissatisfied with our handling of your personal information or any response we may have given,
You can contact our Privacy Officer at:
Attention: Privacy Officer
C/O Rosenau Transport Ltd.
3300 – 76 Avenue NW.,
P.O. Box 4244, Station South Cro,
Edmonton, AB., T6E 4T3
W: (780) 431-2877
F: (780) 431-0599